Arabic-L:LING:Polite Plurals summary

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Oct 21 23:32:42 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Polite Plurals summary

Date: 21 Oct 2009
From:brustad at AUSTIN.UTEXAS.EDU
Subject:Polite Plurals summary

Colleagues,
About a month ago I wrote asking about the use of polite plurals and
their grammatical agreement, and I received the following responses.
Thanks again to all the colleagues who took time to write with
information.
Best,
Kristen Brustad

Question:   A colleague of mine in Linguistics is doing a cross-
linguistic investigation of "polite plurals"-- the use of the plural
pronoun (antum) to a single addressee. Of course, this happens
regularly in fuSHaa  in formal situations, with plural verb and
adjective agreement (HaDaraat-kum dhakartum anna ..).    The question
is whether this happens in any spoken dialects of Arabic on a regular
basis, and if so, are there ever contexts in which the plural pronoun
might have singular verb agreement?

Moroocan Arabic, from Abderrahman Zouhir

the verb should be in the plural.

Example: siyaadtkum f jwaabkum lli rsaltuu lbaariH...qultuu blli

 From Adil Ait Hamd:

To reply to your question, in Morocco, this polite form is used when
addressing government officials like governors, ministers or the king.
Sometimes you can hear a low rank employee using this structure to
address his/her boss. The plural pronoun usually agrees with the verb
(plural).

  Syria, from Alex Dalati:

The polite plural certainly extends into colloquial Syrian in the
Damascus dialect; and in my experience the verb is always in the plural.

Iraq, from Lamia Jamal Aldin:

I have heard this polite plurals in spoken Iraqi among the religious
shia of Najaf and Karbala, you would hear something like: "mawlaana,
intu giltu kadha wa kadha, w riHtu ilaa...", maybe it is the norm
spoken for respect in the "Hawza" - the religious school in Najaf.

Yemen, from Kathrin Feitz:

In Yemen the polite plural is used very often in Sanaa region to
address even ones parents, so you use antu for talking with your
mother and father and other elder relatives.  They use the plural
pronoun and verb when addressing respectable or unknown people.

And from Fatma Said:

In San'aani (Yemeni) Arabic we always use the plural to address a
single person and we do switch to singular now and then; interestingly
enough we move between the two so plural, singular, plural, singular
and so on. I don't have any data as yet but definitely when I am in
San'aa I am aware that it would not be seen as polite to address
people especially in formal settings in the singular. But when we go
to Hadramout or other places the singular is enough in everyday
dealings unless it is official business but even then there are no
consequences if the plural is not used.

Gulf, from Stephen Franke:
Re..."HaDaraat-kum":  That term is rarely used in SA and adjacent GCC
countries. My Saudi informants mentioned with aspersion that
"HaDaraat" is considered a foreign and artificial transplant, also
imported via the Turks who occupied Hijaz and parts of Najd and the
Eastern Province.  Based on my field research and regional residence
several times in Saudi Arabia and other GCC countries, the more-common
terms of deferential utterances by Saudi, Qataris, and Emiratis tend
to be variants on the constructions "Taal" + "3mr", viz:  Taal 3mruk =
ÿ«· ⁄„—fl

While the honorifics of "samookum al-maliki" and "ma3alii al-wazir"
etc. may be used as parts of formal addresses in written
correspondence, the utterances based on "Taal 3mruk" seem to carry the
day in verbal discourse.

End of Arabic-L:  21 Oct 2009