Arabic-L:LING:Arabic demonstratives

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Mar 12 19:18:00 UTC 2010

1) Subject:Arabic demonstratives
2) Subject:Arabic demonstratives

Date: 12 Jan 2010
From:Waheed Samy <wasamy at umich.edu>
Subject:Arabic demonstratives

Regarding the second question:

"does anyone have any thought on why Arabic, compared to English, uses more demonstratives in written texts? For example, in a corpus of 20,000 words of English there will be say 100 instances of demonstratives, while in a same-size corpus of Arabic, there will be 200 cases if not more. That can't be just due to the fact that Arabic has more lexical forms for the demonstratives, right?"

Concerning the written form of the language, Arabic and English pack syntactic categorical constituents very differently.  Whereas every English word is delineated by whitespace, Arabic packs more information within whitespace.  For example:
شاهدتُهم (I saw them) as a written unit bounded by whitespace consists of I + saw + them, which in English is three units.
So for this example, what takes one 'word' in written Arabic requires three in English.

Perhaps you should factor this difference of information packing between English and Arabic.
Waheed Samy