Arabic-L:LING:Arabic etymological dictionaries

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Tue Jan 11 18:27:02 UTC 2011

1) Subject: Arabic etymological dictionaries
2) Subject: Arabic etymological dictionaries
3) Subject: Arabic etymological dictionaries

Date: 11 Jan 2011
From: Dan Parvaz <dparvaz at gmail.com>
Subject: Arabic etymological dictionaries

I think this could only be done through digitisation and electronic processing of large numbers of texts.  A vast project.

While I too would love vast amounts of medieval and modern texts made machine-readable, there *was* an OED before we had the OCP, you know. :-) It is just possible that the requisite textual scholarship exists in the great universities of the Middle East, and perhaps beyond. What is not a given is a lexicographic team with the will to organize all this scattered erudition.

-Dan.