Arabic-L:LING:Dutch-Arabic Lexicography and request for new technical words

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Jan 26 19:39:15 UTC 2011

1) Subject: Dutch-Arabic Lexicography

Date: 26 Jan 2011
From: Jan Hoogland <j.hoogland at nimar.ru.nl>
Subject: Dutch-Arabic Lexicography

Dear all,

Since 1997 I have been active in lexicography of Modern Standard Arabic.
In 2003 the first edition of the Dutch-Arabic and Arabic-Dutch dictionaries came out. You can read everything about this on the project website: www.let.ru.nl/wba

In 2009 the second edition of the same dictionary came out.
The Arabic-Dutch part was enlarged with over 80 pages. The number of new Arabic entries was …
A few examples of the added headwords:
مُؤَتْمَت    automated
أَتْمَتة        automation
أَتْمَتَ        automate
جيجابايْت gigabyte
جينوم      genome
مُتَأَسْلِم      islamized
تَأَسْلَمَ        to islamize
لابْ توبْ,               laptop
ميجابايْت megabyte
ميغابيكْسِل               megapixel
نانوتَكْنولوجِيا          nano technology

Now in attendance of a third edition I have started collecting new words and expressions again.
I have been reading many articles about technology and science from Al Hayat and other sources.
This has resulted in new words like:
تويتر       twitter
تيرابايت  terabyte
الهجينة    hybrid (car)
متأمركة   americanized
رقمنة       digitazation/digitalization

New words are of course only entered in the dictionary if they do occur in certain numbers in a variety of sources both in a defined text corpus and on the internet.

But the extremely rich source of knowledge among Arabic-L subscribers can be consulted too. So I want to ask all of you to inform me (through this list or directly and privately) if there are any words or expressions related to modern scientific, technological, political or other developments.
Please supply me with as much details as possible (source, regional origin, translation in English).
I am very grateful to all your contributions and will keep the list posted of the results.

Best wishes,
Jan Hoogland

NIMAR - Jan Hoogland
Directeur Nederlands Instituut in Marokko/directeur Institut néerlandais au Maroc
mail/courier:  j.hoogland at nimar.ru.nl
adres/adresse: 9 Rue Moulay Abdelaziz, Rabat, Marokko/Maroc
postadres/adresse postale:  NIMAR-locatie 430 Rabat, Postbus 12200, 2500 DD Den Haag
telefoon/téléphone: +212 (0)537 66 85 00
fax/télécopieur:  +212 (0)537 76 84 07
mobiel/GSM: +212 (0)679 14 63 12
website/site web: www.ru.nl/nimar