Arabic-L:LING:Question Words in Urban Arabic Dialects

Tue Mar 19 15:50:15 UTC 2013

1) Subject:Question Words in Urban Arabic Dialects

Date: 19 Mar 2013
From:"Rasha K." <lingrash at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject:Question Words in Urban Arabic Dialects

Dear colleagues,

I'm trying to make a list of the question words in urban Arabic dialects to
introduce to my students.  Below, I have put a table with the question
words in FuSHa and Cairene.  I would be grateful if you could supply me
with the equivalents in your Arabic dialects if they differ.

إيه  ماذا
مين من
إمتى متى
فين أين
إزاي كيف
إشمعنى or   ليه    لماذا
أنهي أي
كام كم
قد ايه كم for uncountable
بكام بكم

Also just to say that هل is not used in informal cairene, please let me
know if it is used in other dialects.

Many thanks,
Rasha Soliman
Senior Arabic Tutor