Arabic-L:LIT:New Book:Arabic Literature and Music volume

Fri Sep 13 15:39:28 UTC 2013

1) Subject: New Book: Arabic Literature and Music volume

Date: 12 Sep 2013
From: jacobus.waardenburg at unil.ch <jacobus.waardenburg at unil.ch>
Subject: New Book: Arabic Literature and Music volume

Dear colleagues,
I am writing to draw your attention to a recent publication on
literature and music in Arab culture which I guest-edited. I attach
the table of contents and would be most grateful if you could post it
on the website you manage.  If a  periodical would like a review copy
they may get in touch with me at the above address.
Thanking you for your trouble, I remain
Yours sincerely,
Hilary Kilpatrick

Dr. Hilary kilpatrick,
Book Reviews Editor, Middle Eastern Literatures,
Avenue de Cour 155,
1007 Lausanne,
Switzerland.

QUADERNI DI STUDI ARABI N.S. 7 (2012) ARABIC LITERATURE AND MUSIC
Guest Editor: Hilary Kilpatrick
Introduction (Hilary Kilpatrick) III-VI
Geert Jan VAN GELDER, Sing Me to Sleep: Ṣafī al-Dīn al-Urmawī, Hülegü,
and the Power of Music 1-9
Julien DUFOUR, « J’ai ouï chanter l’oiseau » : Musique, chant, danse
et poésie ḥumaynī 11-46
Carl DAVILA, Yā qātilī bi-t-tajannī: Love, Contextualized Meaning and
Praise
of the Prophet in Ramal al-Māya 47-68
Dwight REYNOLDS, Lost Virgins Found: The Arabic Songbook Genre
and an Early North African Exemplar 69-105
Hilary KILPATRICK, The Example of the Angels: Makarios ibn al-Za‘īm’s
Treatise on Byzantine Hymnography 107-126
Anne VAN OOSTRUM, Arabic Music in Western Ears: An Account
of the Music of the Hejaz at the Turn of the Twentieth Century 127-144
Elizabeth WICKETT, The Aesthetics and Poetics of Upper Egyptian
Funerary Lament in Performance 145-168
Frédéric LAGRANGE, « Mettre en musique » : La sélection et
l’interprétation
de la qaṣīda dans le répertoire égyptien savant enregistré sur disques
78 tours (1903-1925) 169-204
Monica RUOCCO, Between Symphony and Novel: ‘Alī Badr’s Ḥāris al-tabġ
(The tobacco keeper)
205-224
***
Gregor SCHOELER, The Genres of Classical Arabic Poetry. Classifications
of Poetic Themes and Poems by Pre-Modern Critics and Redactors of Dīwāns
225-230
QSA n.s. 7 (2012), pp. 000-000
© Istituto per l’Oriente C.A. Nallino, Roma