Arabic-L:GEN:Arabic for meatballs

Thu Jun 12 14:58:49 UTC 2014

1) Subject: Arabic for  meatballs
2) Subject: Arabic for  meatballs
3) Subject: Arabic for  meatballs

Date: 12 Jun 2014
From: Noha Forster <nforster at uchicago.edu>
Subject: Arabic for  meatballs

I have never heard كرات لحم in Egypt. If someone said that, I would read it
as a literal translation from English. "Balls of meat" are abundant in the
cuisine of many Arab countries, and each dish has a name، doesn't need to
go with the English. In Egypt, that would be "kofta": kofta bil dim'ah,
kofta Dawud Basha. True, we would use the verb "turn into a ball" كوّري
اللحمة كُور صغيرة؛، but I would find it weird if someone called it
كرات/كُوَر لحم. However, I HAVE seen a recipe in a Saudi cookbook called
"shorbat koraat al-laHm". I imagine that this is a modern recipe with a
modern name (the cookbook has lasagna and such new foods too). I am getting
the feeling that old standbys, no matter how small and round they are,
would never be called كرات لحم، but that new recipes welcome this name.
All best,
Noha Aboulmagd Forster