digraphs and sorting

Bill Poser billposer2 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 29 02:18:04 UTC 2012

I suspect that Alessandro is right that diacritics for tone, nasalization,
and length are best used only for secondary sorts, at least if the
materials are aimed at people who are not fluent speakers. For fluent
speakers I'm not so sure. Phonologically organized Japanese dictionaries,
for example, treat the kana diacritics as primary and no one seems to have
any difficulty with this. Unfortunately, few of us on this list are much in
the business of preparing materials for fluent speakers.

As for polygraphs, I am unable to report any opinion on the basis of
Carrier experience (where polygraphs are treated as first order collocation
units) probably because few people spend much time seriously looking things
up.