Humour (long)

Andrew Carnie acarnie at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 14 15:50:26 UTC 1995

------- Forwarded Message
From: adg1 at cornell.edu (Antony Green)

Thainig seo do IndoEuropean-L an seachtaine seo caite:
This came to IndoEuropean-L last week:

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>The History of the English Language
>
> Since there has been so much interesting in Irish pronounciation lately, I
>thought our Sassanach brothers should have their pronouns clarified as well.
> Hope this helps.   :-{)> 1066 and all that...
>
>The History of the English Language
>
>Owen Alun and Brendan O'Corraidhe
>
>In the beginning there was an island off the coast of Europe.  It had
>no name, for the natives had no language, only a collection of grunts and
>gestures that roughly translated to "Hey!", "Gimme!", and "Pardon me, but
>would you happen to have any woad?"
>
>Then the Romans invaded it and called it Britain, because the natives were
>"blue, nasty, br(u->i)tish and short."  This was the start of the importance
>of u (and its mispronounciation) to the language.  After building some roads,
>killing off some of the nasty little blue people and walling up the rest, the
>Romans left, taking the language instruction manual with them.
>
>The British were bored so they invited the barbarians to come over
>(under Hengist) and "Horsa" 'round a bit. The Angles, Saxons, and Jutes
>brought slightly more refined vocal noises.
>
>All of the vocal sounds of this primitive language were onomatapoedic, being
>derived from the sounds of battle.  Consonants were were derived from the
>sounds of weapons striking a foe.  "Sss" and "th" for example are the sounds
>of a draw cut, "k" is the sound of a solidly landed axe blow, "b", "d", are
>the sounds of a head dropping onto rock and sod respectively, and "gl" is the
>sound of a body splashing into a bog.  Vowels (which were either gargles in
>the back of the throat or sharp exhalations) were derived from the sounds the
>foe himself made when struck.
>
>The barbarians had so much fun that decided to stay for post-revel. The
>British, finding that they had lost future use of the site, moved into the
>hills to the west and called themselves Welsh.
>
>The Irish, having heard about language from Patrick, came over to
>investigate.  When they saw the shiny vowels, they pried them loose and took
>them home.  They then raided Wales and stole both their cattle and their
>vowels, so the poor Welsh had to make do with sheep and consonants.  ("Old Ap
>Ivor hadde a farm, L Y L Y W!  And on that farm he hadde somme gees.  With a
>dd dd here and a dd dd there...")
>
>To prevent future raids, the Welsh started calling themselves "Cymry" and
>gave even longer names to their villages.  They figured if no one could
>pronounce the name of their people or the names of their towns, then no one
>would visit them.  (The success of the tactic is demonstrated still today.
>How many travel agents have YOU heard suggest a visit to scenic
>Llyddumlmunnyddthllywddu?)
>
>Meantime, the Irish brought all the shiny new vowels home to Erin.  But of
>course they didn't know that there was once an instruction manual for them,
> [...]
Antony Green                                       Antaine O hUaithne
Department of Linguistics         #          Roinn na Teangeolaiochta
Morrill Hall                      |                     Halla Morrill
Cornell University               (|)                Ollscoil Chornell
Ithaca, NY 14853, USA            }_{             Ithaca, Nua Eabhrach
H: (607) 272-7431               ( v )       Stait Aontaithe Mheiricea
adg1 at cornell.edu                  |                  adg1 at cornell.edu
                  Go maire na teangacha Ceilteacha!
                    Bywio yr ieithoedd Celtaidd!