getting restricted output

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Wed Oct 25 03:03:26 UTC 2006

On Oct 24, 2006, at 10:48 PM, Ann Peters wrote:

> Is there any way to specify that the output from one tier be
> restricted by
> a code on another tier?

Dear Ann,

One general solution involves "cross-tier COMBO" which is described
in section 5.7.4 of the manual (electronic version).  As that section
explains, you can get this to work either by creating output files
filtered by cross-tier COMBO and then running FREQ across this files
or else saving the intermediary file step by using the piping
feature.  Either way will work.  The commands are not a piece of cake
to write, as the example in that section illustrates, so I recommend
starting with a simple sample file with just a couple of lines as you
learn to use them.

--Brian MacWhinney