Having difficulty using KWAL command to search for strings which involve periods

'Peredur Webb-Davies' via chibolts chibolts at googlegroups.com
Tue Apr 18 02:26:58 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm trying to analyse our corpus of Welsh linguistic data which has been
coded using CHAT. The corpus has multiple secondary tiers, and one of them
is called %aut ('autoglossed tier') , which details word-by-word
morphological glossing for each item in the main tier.

I want to use the KWAL command in CLAN to find certain items in the %aut
tier, namely (at the moment) to find pronouns. The aim is to then extract
the data from the relevant main tier, so that I have collated all tokens of
that pronoun from a given set of data. These pronouns have been glossed in
%aut in the format e.g. your.ADJ.POSS.2S for a 2nd person singular pronoun.
My assumption was that a command such as the following would find all items
matching the search string in the %aut tier in (e.g.) the file called
davies2ag.cha:

kwal +t%aut +syour.ADJ.POSS.2S davies1ag.cha

However, this gives no results - even though I know there are instances of
this token in that transcript. If you search for just +syour , for example,
it finds those results (but cannot disambiguate between 2nd singular and
plural forms, among other issues). I assume the problem is presence of the
periods/full stops in the %aut tier.

I have tried using "" around the search string, I have tried to replace the
stops with * and _ and ^_^, and I have also tried using COMBO instead of
KWAL, but nothing helps. It says no items found.

I assume that there is an obvious answer that my very limited knowledge of
coding is keeping from me, but if anyone can assist I would be hugely
grateful!

I can supply more details as required.

Many thanks,

Peredur Webb-Davies

PS For info, here is a weblink to an example of a transcript, to show how
it has been glossed etc.: http://bangortalk.org.uk/chats/siarad/davies2.cha