Transcribing bookreading

Janet Y Bang jbang at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 13 16:31:38 UTC 2020

Hi Lulu,

We have been using postcodes to designate these utterances. We've created our own where:

[+ recit] means they are reciting the text
[+ rmix] means that they are mixing the text with their own deviations from the text or adding to the text

Below are the guidelines we've developed in our own work right now with English- and Spanish-speaking families who are reading books during LENA recordings in the home (and if you have any comments about anything please feel free to let us know):

Recited utterances: [+ recit]

Acceptable words for recited speech include speech that is ‘starting’ an utterance to get the child’s attention. In the example below, “look it says” is not part of the text, but is starting the utterance.

      *MOT:             look it says Thomas_the_Train went round and round. [+ recit]

The following are still accepted as recited:

  *   If the caregiver reads parts of the recited text and skips around the page, but every word is said as it is written, then give this a recited code.
  *   Changing “that” for “which” or vice versa is acceptable and not enough for a rmix postcode.
  *   Contractions or vice versa are acceptable as recited because these do not change the meaning (e.g., the text is “I will be back said the dog” and the caregiver says “I’ll be back said the dog”, or vice versa.)
  *   Changing the order of words (e.g., white fluffy feathers to fluffy white feathers)

Recited mixed utterances: [+ rmix]

Any words that are omitted, added or changed within the text should get the [+ rmix] postcode. For example, the text is “and King said he was so happy to see his friends”.

         Omitted “so”:

            *MOT:             and King said he was happy to see his friends [+ rmix]

         Added language:

            *MOT:             and King said he was so happy to see his good friends [+ rmix]

         Changed language: this includes articles (e.g., a vs. the)

            *MOT:             and King said he was so happy to see his friend [+ rmix]

           We also count translations of the recited text (this counts for ‘live’ translations, where

the caregiver has a book in one language in front of them that does not have the translated text, so instead is translating it as they read). We will count this here because this language is no longer spontaneous, since what to say is dictated by the text available.

--

Janet Y. Bang, Ph.D.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Psychology