CLAN questions - new user

Leonid Spektor spektor at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 25 17:31:49 UTC 2021

Hi Brenda,

	I can give you my suggestions, but these are definitely not the only choices that you have. Maybe someone else would have better ideas.

1., 2. The post-codes are best way to identify specific utterances from a larger group of utterances. So, for example, if you have *MOT-ET: speaker code for extra-textual talk and *MOR-RE: speaker code for mother reading, then you would have @Participants: MOT Mother header tier to identify one Mother speaker. This way you have only one speaker with different tiers based on what those tiers represent. This way you can use FREQ command to locate just that speaker with the command freq +t*MOT if you want separate results, or freq +t*MOT-RE for just mother reading, or command freq +t*MOT +o3 if you want combined result for all mother's utterances.

The post-codes are the best way to tag utterances, because they will allow you to find other dependent tiers along with speaker tiers. For example, if you have utterances:

*MOT-ET:	extra textual talk [+ CR] .
%mor:	adj|extra adj|textual n|talk .
%gra:	1|3|MOD 2|3|MOD 3|0|INCROOT 4|3|PUNCT

and you want to run analyzes on %mor: tier with post-code [+ CR], then you would use command freq +s"[+ CR]" +t%mor or if you want only mother's extra-textual talk utterances with post-code [+ CR], then use command freq +t*MOT-ET +s"[+ CR]" +t%mor.

If you use dependent tiers for coding, then it would be more difficult to associate those codes with other tiers of that speaker. It can be done, but it would require two commands 1. KWAL to extract only utterances with that code on dependent tier and next FREQ command to run analyses on those extracted tiers.

If you only want to count codes on specific dependent tiers, then using dependent tiers like %xett : $AK will work. Notice, the dependent tier would have to start with 'x' or it will not pass CHECK command.

3. The command that you have freq @ +t*MOT +s"<+ AK>" is best to count number of occurrences of actual codes. If you want to run analyzes on the words used by the speaker, then you would use command freq @ +t*MOT +s"[+ AK]". This can be combined with other dependent tiers associated with that speaker tier. For example, command freq +s"[+ AK]" +t%mor will analyze words on %mor tier.

4. If you mean to run FREQ on multiple files to get separate results for each file, the you could use *.cha or "File In" button in Commands window. If you want to get combined results for multiple files, then add +u option to the command line.

Leonid.