CLAN questions - new user

Brenda Beverly bbeverly at southalabama.edu
Thu Mar 25 15:25:22 UTC 2021

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a new user of CHAT/CLAN (long time SALT user). My colleague in China
and I are using CHAT/CLAN for transcription and analysis of mothers'
engagement behaviors when booksharing with 4 year olds. We may be able to
donate the videos and/or transcripts to CHILDES in the future, but in the
short term, we are trying to maximize the CHAT/CLAN capabilities.

I have a few questions:
1. Are post codes the best CHAT method for our study purposes? After
working to learn CHAT , it seems that our study-specific coding of
engagement strategies is best accomplished through post codes. So, we have
an utterance and then a post code - for example,  [+ CR] which is our
abbreviation for Choral Reading, an engagement strategy of the mothers that
we are tracking.

2. How could we get separate tiers for when the mothers are reading the
text from the children's book versus when the mothers are talking/speaking,
not reading? We have ruled out @g. It seems @g is better for 2 different
booksharing activities, not these separate types of talk with one
booksharing/storybook. We are considering labeling the Participant tier to
separate this - @MOT for Mother reading, but maybe @MET for Mother's
extra-textual talk. This will likely give us the output we need but it's
not truly 2 different participants. In that regard, it feels like we might
be missing out on a tier option that would be a better representation of
the transcripts. Should we have set this up with a dependent tier using
%ETT (extra-textual talk) perhaps? Could we keep the post codes and add
this following the MOT utterances that are extra textual? Or do we need to
use the codes together, for example:
%ETT : AK (AK = our code for an acknowledgment)

3. Is the freq command the best CLAN program for our purposes? We have
successfully run freq to obtain the counts for the postcodes and exported
that to excel.
The program my colleague ran was:
freq @ +[*MOT = s"<+ AK>"
She ran separate analyses for each of the engagement behaviors - AK for
acknowledgement as well as CR Choral Reading etc.
This is working. I was simply curious if this was the best/right option,
especially given my other questions about the use of post codes and tiers.

4. Lastly, I believe we could run a command that would include all 10
participant transcripts, but I haven't studied or determined how to set
that up. Are you able to assist?

My apologies for these basic questions. We are excited to access CHAT/CLAN
for this project and future work. Your support is greatly appreciated!

Brenda Beverly
bbeverly at southalabama.edu
251.635.3999 mobile #