Mi'kmaq Cinderella

Wed Jul 22 04:44:02 UTC 1998

At 07:49 PM 7/21/98 -0700, Liland Brajant ROS' wrote:
>Mike skribis:
>
>>Interesting web page:  anyone up for a collaboration on Jargon versions
>>of classic fairy tales?  Or is that too retro/revisionist?
>>
>>http://indy4.fdl.cc.mn.us/~isk/stories/cinder3.html
>[...]
>
>As I more or less suggested in my recent "Saghalie Tyee/saXali tayi"=20
>note, I think there's potential in Jargon versions not only of "classic"=
=20
>(i.e. European classic) tales, but also of local/regional first peoples'=
=20
>tales.  Preferably translated from the originals where possible.

Actually I came a across a few copies of Tekahionawake/Pauline Johnson's
"Legends of Vancouver" the other days, which were related to her by Chief
Joe Kitsilano at the turn of the century (probably in Chinook, which she
learned during her stay in this region).  If enough people are interested
in this kind of thing, I can buy up some copies on their behalf to get to
them when they're here for the Workshop; IIRC this particular publication
(which was a very nice small hardcover with an arty dustjacket) was only
$12.95 Cdn; paperback copies of it abound in the $4-$8 range at the
antiquarian booksellers around Vancouver.....

I also saw a bunch of Grey Owl books the other day.....I dunno if you
Americans are as familiar with him as we are, but he's a delight to read,
even if he turned out to be an Englishman......(or was that Scots?)

Regards

Mike