Origin of "polallie"

Wed Apr 28 03:00:42 UTC 1999

LhaXayEm, shiks,

Khapa Barbara Harris ya c'Em phipa "Handsaw or harlot?  Some problem
etymologies in Chinook Jargon" (_Revue Canadienne de Linguistique/Canadian
Journal of Linguistics_ 28:1, 1983, pp. 25-32) nayka hay nanIch ukuk ya
chaku k'Imta:

	Gibbs:  wek Ul ChInuk, wek Chehalis
	Shaw:  dret khakwa Gibbs, pi tl'unEs ya chaku khapa Pasayuks
		"poudre" (pulEli)
	Harris:  tl'unEs khapa KInchoch Pasayuks "poudrerie" (sno, win
		munk mIlhayt saXEli yaka pi puxwEn yaka khanawi-qha), pi
		alaxti tl'unEs (!) Pasayuks "poudrie`re" (qha mIlhayt
		pulEli pus mEskEt/sEkwElEl).

BEt wEXt nayka tEmtEm alaxti /pulEli/ mIlhayt khapa Ul ChInuk wawa.

Dell, Rob, tl'unEs-lhaksta, Ikta mEsayka kEmtEks?

[BastEn sItkEm:  In Barbara's paper I see that Gibbs thought this word
"neither Chinook nor Chehalis"; Shaw the same, and that it might have come
from French "poudre" (powder); Harris herself that perhaps it's connected
with Canadian French "poudrerie" (snow which the wind picks up and blows
it all around), and perhaps also with Canadian French "poudrie`re" (where
gunpowder is kept).

[But I also think /pulEli/ was in Old Chinook.

[Dell, Rob, someone, what do you know?]

Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html