Tlingit CJ sound system? Q's about S.V. Johnson thesis

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at D.UMN.EDU
Mon Mar 5 19:46:22 UTC 2001

David,

WAPATO got quite a bit of discussion on the list a while back: Henry
Zenk said (17 Jun 99) "Berman reconstructed Proto-Kalapuya *pdo?"

> But I wonder if many words attributed to eastern language origins
> have been biased by the east to west migration of people and linguists?

I can think of one case in which it was clearly the opposite that
occurred: the origin of the Eng. word CAMAS has long been attributed to
Nootka, but it's evident that it came from Nez Perce and entered CJ from
the east.

Alan