CJ email exchange with non-list-member ;-)

Ros' Haruo lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 10 23:18:22 UTC 2004

LaXayEm Dave,

No, as far as I know Dave Richardson is not from Sidney. I think he's
originally from either Bellingham or Seattle, though he's lived on Orcas
Island for decades (and is the author of a couple of published books on the
San Juans). The mention of Sidney has to do with my having invited him to
attend my "prelegeto" on Chinuk Wawa at the convention in Sidney next week
(we'll be coming up Thursday on the Victoria Clipper, staying through Monday
night at the Sidney Travelodge—the convention will be at the Mary Winspear
Centre, Saturday morning; please come if you can!) But he pleads family
commitments.

As for "Haluo" vs. "Haruo" , I know there's an R in KW as well as in GR, but
it seems to me that in the pidgin phase, at least, English R is usually CJ'd
as CJ L, and in any event the actual original is the Japanese R, which is
more like an L than the English one, generally (and especially in the
syllable RU). So I think "Haluo" is probably my best bet. "liland" in KW
looks an awful lot like either a less-than impressive phallus or a giving of
the proverbial finger, so I'm eager not to use it. I shall remain lilEnd in
Lushootseed, and become "haluo" in CW, if I may.

BTW does the (s) in "SOLSHIRS soldier(s), SISTIRS nun(s)" etc. mean that the
KW form ending in -S was used even when it was unambiguously singular? If
so, is this strictly a KW thing? I'm familiar with forms like "TILLIKUMS
friends", "IKTAS things" in Shaw, but have never seen them glossed as
anything but plural — and have tended to disdain them as probably
anglicisms.

lilEnd=haluo

        ROS' Haruo / 2355 Eastlake Ave E / Seattle WA 98102 / Usono
    lilandbr at scn.org / lilandbr at hotmail.com / tel 206-324-3176
              ROS' Haruo = Leland Bryant ROSS