Potatoes Illahee

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Tue Aug 23 07:49:51 UTC 2005

That sounds like a mispelling to me too or some kind of change from the
original.

On my bookshelf is a work called _Merritt & The Nicola Valley: An
Illustrated History._ Nicola Valley Museum and Archives Association.
Sonotek Publishing Ltd.: Merritt, 1998. "Potatoes Illahee" is mentioned
on page 22 as being at 14 Mile. On page 66 it is described as being near
Clay Bluffs.

My assumption is that the name Potatoes Illahee dates back to the early
days when Nicola used to cultivate and sell potatoes to the fort at
Kamloops.

Seems to me a while back there was a similar kind of discussion about
another place named Toketic.

Maybe someone long ago had very bad handwriting?