Writing in Chinuk Wawa

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 5 12:54:10 UTC 2005

  Klahawya Isaac !

  I apologize for this late reply, I had some free days and didn't touch the computer, even for checking e-mail.
  Me too I prefer Jim Holton's orthography (the reasons are obvious), and used it in my three previous translations in Chinook Wawa.
  This time, for the Djoha story I used something looking more like Grand Ronde orthography, in order to look more like Native-spoken Chinook Wawa. I also lack teaching materials for Grand Ronde Chinook Wawa, and used as a model for Native-spoken Chinook Wawa the "Texts in Chinook Jargon" of Melville Jacobs (http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/htmldoc.exe?CISOROOT=/lctext&CISOPTR=1584).
  Regarding your translation, I also am not an expert, but I would prefer (using Holton's orthography) the following formulation:
  Pus atlki mêsayka mitlayt yakwa, klush mêsayka chaku kêmtêks nêsayka lalang.
  (I don't pretend that it is better than yours; it is just how I would say it)

  Atlki wekt,
  Francisc

"Isaac M. Davis" <isaacmacdonalddavis at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
    That's very interesting, Francisc. I myself have only translated one piece of text; there was a post in a linguistics-related forum, asking how one would, in indigenous North American languages, say, "If you're going to live here, learn the language."

  My (admittedly inexpert) translation:

  Msaika mitlait yakwa, klosh pus msaika chaku kêmtêks nsaika lalang.

  (I use Jim Holton's orthography; I don't have any teaching materials for learning the Grand Ronde one, and his makes more sense to me than the older, anglicised orthographies.)

  Klahawya,

  Isaac M. Davis

 Yahoo! Personals