Writing in Chinuk Wawa

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 5 14:20:20 UTC 2005

I don't know how correct is Nadja's rendering for "from the desert mouse", but I would have used exactly the same expression; I also used klak (Laqw) for "from" in my translation attempts, and I believe that I have seen also others using it in this sense.

  Francisc

Yakima Belle <yakimabelle at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
  *Klahowya shiks - klak dlay ilehi hulhul:

Hello friends - from the desert mouse:

(How does one actually say from - this is litterally
off the desert mouse..... but since animals were
mentioned, it seemed a good time to "pop up" and learn
more.)

Naika mamuk mimelust kepit ikt mawich pus alta nayka
mekemek yaka. Yaka makenki klush mekemek bit
kwitshadie. Hilu naika mamuk mimelust Sawash musmus!

I only kill one deer and then I eat him. He's better
eats than rabbit. I never kill buffalo!

Yakwa, hayu lemel kwitshadie. Klaska puli mekemek -
klaska mitlayt tenas olek kikweli skin.

Here there are lots of jack rabbits. They are rotten
food - they have worms (larvae) in their skin.

OK - it's not the most appetizing post but I am not
sure how to do a comparative as in X is better
(comparative - i.e. "than")
Y. Nor do I know how to describe the disgusting little
things that burrow in jackrabbits hides, but aren't
seen in cottontails as a rule here in the Dlay ilehi.

--- "Isaac M. Davis"
wrote:

> Oh, and here's my attempted response to another
> translation request later in
> the thread:
>
> Pus atlki msaika mitlait yakwa, wik mamuk mimêlust
> kanawi musmus. Piltên
> diyab.
>
> I hope it made sense. If it doesn't sound right, be
> assured that I didn't
> pretend to be a fluent speaker or anything, just a
> hobbyist.
>

> Isaac M. Davis

 Yahoo! Personals