Humility

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon Aug 7 23:59:43 UTC 2006

"Naika ilo komtaks okuk wawa, kakwa naika ilo komtaks ukuk wawa kapa pipa.
Pus naika komtaks ukuk wawa kapa pipa, aias tlus."

A person from Sahaltkum (sp?), near Chase, BC wrote this soon after
learning to write Chinook shorthand around 1895.

"I don't know this language [Chinook], so I don't know how to do this
talking on paper.  When I do understand this talking on paper, [that'll be]
great."

Note: In the Kamloops area they usually said /pus/ for "when" as well
as "if".

--Dave R.