"either-or" in Chinook; how to say "envelope"

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 30 14:23:06 UTC 2006

In my personal Chinook Wawa dictionary I have "ikt...ikt" = "either...or", but unfortunatelly I omited to note the source and now I can not find out where I got it from (not Holton, not Gibbs, not Shaw, not Hale, not Demers, not "El Comancho"...)
  For "envelope" I have the _expression "klahanie papeh" from Shaw.

  Francisc

David Robertson <ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU> wrote:
  Here's some great syntax, er, neat Chinook stuff.

A letter from a Salmon Arm man that I presented a couple of Chinook
Gatherings back uses the phrasing "...kata [klaska] spus tlus spus
klahawiam." At the time, the lack of punctuation threw me into thinking he
was saying one thing, but experience with more letters from the Interior
shows me he meant something else.

He meant "...how [they] are getting along: well or miserably."

I've found that people who relied on Jargon for routine communication
formulated "either-or" choices as "(s)pus X (s)pus Y," "either/whether X or
Y." Nice to know. I don't recall seeing that in anyone's thumbnail
sketches of Jargon grammar, but I could be forgetful.

A second lightbulb turned on over my head when I was re-examining a
different part of the same letter. There, the writer talks about a letter
he got from another Native person, who he names. Then he says
literally, "But I don't have his name in/on the bag" ("nim kopa lisak"),
and asks for help with this so that he can send a letter in reply. I'd
originally read all this metaphorically, which as you know can lead to big
misunderstandings. Did he mean "it's on the tip of my tongue"? Or "I'm
not sure of it"? Etc... Well, it now strikes me he could've meant "I
don't have his address."

Well, as they often wrote in these letters, "pus ikta maika tomtom?"
[sic] "What do you think?"

--Dave R

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'. To respond privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'. Hayu masi!