Need help with translation

Scott Tyler s.tylermd at COMCAST.NET
Sun Aug 30 05:36:04 UTC 2009

Hi Tanya,
Yes Ta may be short for tamaanowas.
tamaanowas might be a great name for your canoe!
tamaanowas = spirit guide, spiritual power
Scott
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Tanya Harrison
  To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
  Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:55 PM
  Subject: Re: Need help with translation

  Wow, thanks all for the wonderful suggestions!  I'll print these out and show it to our skipper.  It'll be a while before we decide on an official name, so suggestions will still be welcome from late comers to the conversation.

  Dave, I have a word I learned at the Grand Ronde Chinook class for downriver - "may?mi".  I believe there was also another word for upriver, but I can't find it.

  Scott, is "ta" short for t'amanEwas?

  Hayu mersi mtsayka!

  Tanya