Corpora: summary: taggers for German

Veronika Koller Veronika.Koller at isis.wu-wien.ac.at
Wed Apr 3 15:14:13 UTC 2002

Dear list members,

a week ago, I posted the following query:
>on behalf of a colleague I would like to ask whether you know of any
taggers for German text corpora (I've already >discovered Morphy,
TreeTagger and Xerox).

I would like to thank the following persons for their valuable help:

Thorsten Brants, who drew my attention to his TnT tagger available at
http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/~thorsten/tnt

The same tagger was recommended by Chris Brew, Peter Dienes, Radu Florian
and Helmut Schmid (who has not only developed a tagger himself but also
informed me that the Brill Tagger has been adapted to German text corpora
at the University of Zurich, http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/CL/tagger).

Vlad V. Gojol mentioned that his tagger (demo version at gojol at rnc.ro) is
also suitable for German text corpora.

Atro Voutilainen set the following response:
>Conexor has taggers and parsers for German (as well as Italian, English,
>French, Spanish, Swedish, Finnish, soon also Dutch). An online demo is
>at http://www.conexor.fi

Finally, Randall Jones sent a summary of responses he got to the same query
as mine, with cc to the Corpora list (if you have trouble finding it, let
me know so I can forward it).

I am very grateful to everyone who took the time to answer.

Best regards,
Veronika Koller
Mag.a Veronika Koller
Department of English/Business English
Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration
Augasse 9
A-1090 Vienna
Tel.: 43/1/31336-4068
Fax: 43/1/31336-747