[Corpora-List] Data-Driven Learning materials

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Fri Apr 18 09:58:49 UTC 2008

Serge,

write-up on what we have done so far is

(Kilgarriff, Milos Husák, Katy McAdam, Michael Rundell, Pavel Rychlý) GDEX:
Automatically finding good dictionary examples in a
corpus<http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk/Publications/2008-KilgEtAl-euralex-gdex.doc>.
Proc EURALEX 2008, Barcelona, Spain.

Easiest heuristics include sentence-length and word frequency.  Lots
of uppercase and/or punctuation is bad news (specially for text from the
web).  We are exploring more grammar (using a parser and/or the low-tech
alternative - penalising sentences with long noun sequences or lots of
tensed verbs) and also language modelling (since readable sentences will
tend to have high probability in a probabilistic lg model - thanks to
Claudia Leacock for this idea, she is doing similar things at Butler Hill
Group.)

There's good current work on readability by Isahara's group in Nara, Japan,
see eg

Kotani, K., T. Yoshimi, T. Kutsumi, I. Sata, and H. Isahara 2008.  EFL
Learner Reading Time Model for Evaluating Reading
Proficiency<http://www.gelbukh.com/cicling/2008/FirstPages/Paper8723.pdf>
.  Proc CICLING, Haifa, Israel.
There's also the tradition going back to Fleisch and others in early 20th
century (see discussion in the paper)

Do say more about what you did (tho maybe not on the list)

Adam

Adam Kilgarriff http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk
Lexical Computing Ltd http://www.sketchengine.co.uk
Lexicography MasterClass Ltd http://www.lexmasterclass.com