[Corpora-List] CFP: AAAI Workshop on What Went Wrong and Why

sciubba at uniroma3.it sciubba at uniroma3.it
Wed Jan 23 10:15:31 UTC 2008

it's very easy: just click on the link below and follow the
instructions... we can do nothing!!!!

PLEEEEEASE TAKE ME OFF YOUR EMAIL LIST
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>   PLEEEEEASE TAKE ME OFF YOUR
EMAIL LIST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>   PLEEEEEASE TAKE
ME OFF YOUR EMAIL LIST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEEEEEASE TAKE ME OFF YOUR EMAIL LIST
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>   PLEEEEEASE TAKE ME OFF YOUR
EMAIL LIST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>   PLEEEEEASE TAKE
ME OFF YOUR EMAIL LIST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> "Kevin B. Cohen" <kevin.cohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>   There will also be a workshop on software testing, engineering,
and
> quality assurance at ACL 2008 this year. Watch this space
for the

Jan 21, 2008 7:26 PM, wrote:

>> AAAI-08 Workshop
on
>> What Went Wrong and Why: Lessons from AI Research and
Applications

>> CALL FOR PAPERS

Submissions due: April 7th, 2008

Bugs, glitches, and failures shape research and development by charting
>> the
>> boundaries of technology; they identify
errors, reveal assumptions, and
>> expose design flaws. When a
system works we focus on its input/output
>> behavior, but when
a problem occurs, we examine the mechanisms that
>> generated
behavior to account for the flaw and hypothesize corrections.
>> This
>> process produces insight and forces
incremental refinement. In a sense,
>> failures are the mother
of necessity, and therefore the grandmother of
>> invention.
>>
>> Unfortunately, bugs, glitches, and failures are
rarely mentioned in
>> academic
>> discourse. Their
role in informing design and development is essentially

lost. The first What Went Wrong and Why workshop during the 2006 AAAI
>> spring
>> symposium [1,2] started to address this
gap by inviting AI researchers
>> and
>> system
developers to discuss their most revealing bugs, and relate

problems
>> to lessons learned. Revised versions of the
articles and the invited
>> talks
>> will be
published as a special issue of the AI-Magazine in Summer 2008
>> [3].
>>
>> The first workshop clarified
that WWWW experiences can be studied at
>> three

different levels of abstraction: the Strategic (AI research in
general),
>> Tactical (research area) and Execution (project or
implementation)
>> levels.
>> An additional category
turned out to be the study of how, why and when
>> failures
occur in the first place.

>> The second workshop
will continue our analysis of failures in research.
>> In
>> addition to examining the links between failure and insight, we
would
>> like
>> to determine if there is a hidden
structure behind our tendency to make
>> mistakes that can be
utilized to provide guidance in research.

>> As
such, we invite researchers to submit papers (8 pages in AAAI format)
>> connecting problems they have encountered to lessons learned on
the
>> tactical
>> or execution level. We would also
welcome papers on the study of
>> failures

themselves. We encourage authors to elaborate on what they believe was
>> the
>> source cause of the failure, how the problem
helped them arrive at a
>> better
>> solution, and
to suggest a broader categorization of failures and how to

utilize them. Papers should be submitted to

submission at whatwentwrongandwhy.org

Important
Dates
>> * Submissions Due: April 7, 2008
>> * Notifications: April 21, 2008
>> * Final Papers
Due: May 5, 2008
>> * Workshop: July 13 or 14, 2008 (TBA) in
Chicago at AAAI 2008

>> Chairs:
Mehmet H. Göker and
Daniel Shapiro
>> Mehmet H.
Göker, PricewaterhouseCoopers, CAR, (mehmet.goker at us.pwc.com)

Daniel Shapiro, CSLI/Stanford University, & Applied
Reactivity, Inc.
>> (dgs at stanford.edu)
>>
>> Program Committee

David Aha
(Naval Research Laboratory)
>> Ralph Bergmann (Universität
Trier, Lehrstuhl für Wirtschaftsinformatik
>> II)
>> Carl Hewitt (MIT EECS - emeritus)
>> Jean-Gabriel
Ganascia (University Pierre et Marie Curie, LIP6)

David
Leake (Indiana University, Computer Science Department)
>> Doug
Lenat (Cycorp Inc.)
>> Ramon Lopez de Mantaras (CSIC Artificial
Intelligence Research
>> Institute)
>> Edwina
Rissland (University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of

Computer
>> Science)
>> Ted Senator (SAIC)

>> [1]
Shapiro, D., Göker, M. (eds.), 'What Went Wrong and Why: Lessons
>> From AI Research and Applications', Papers from the AAAI
Spring
>> Symposium,
>> March 27-29, 2006, Stanford,
CA. Technical Report SS-06-08, AAAI Press,
>> Menlo Park,
2006.

>> [2] A. Abdecker, R. Alami, C Baral, T.
Bickmore, E. Durfee, T. Fong,
>> M. Göker, N. Green, M.
Liberman, C. Lebiere, J. Martin, G. Mentzas, D.
>> Musliner, N.
Nicolov, I. Nourbakhsh, F. Salvetti, D. Shapiro, D.

Schreckenghost, A. Sheth, L. Stojanovic, V. SunSpiral, R. Wray,
"AAAI
>> Spring
>> Symposium Reports" , AI
Magazine, VOl 27, Nr. 3, Fall 2006, pp. 107-112,
>> American
Association for Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), Menlo Park,

2006

>> [3] Shapiro, D. Göker, M. (eds.),
'Special Issue on What Went Wrong
>> and Why", AI
Magazine, Vol. 29, Number 2, Summer 2008 (to appear)

>> The information transmitted is intended only for the person or
entity to
>> which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged
>> material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or
>> taking of any action in
reliance upon, this information by persons or
>> entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you

received
>> this in error, please contact the sender and delete
the material from
>> any
>> computer.
PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP is a Delaware limited liability

partnership.

> --
> K. B. Cohen

Biomedical Text Mining Group Lead
> Center for Computational
Pharmacology

http://compbio.uchsc.edu/Hunter_lab/Cohen

> Sean Lynch
>   sclynchpainting at yahoo.com
> 203 245
4544
> 203 710 0143 cell
>   203 779 5137 fax

M.Eleonora Sciubba

Private faces in public places
Are
wiser and nicer
Than public faces in private places.
(W.H.Auden,
"Which side am I supposed to be
on?")

Gran duol mi prese al cor quando lo 'ntesi,
però che gente
di molto valore
conobbi che 'n quel limbo eran sospesi.
(Dante
Alighieri, "Divina Commedia", Inferno Canto IV)