[Corpora-List] Corpora containing common English words including slang.

Joe Moore moore.joseph at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 22:54:44 UTC 2009

I want to thank everyone for the very considered responses I've received to
my question. The responses are very useful and certainly made me reflect a
bit more on the material I was searching for.

When I initially attempted to find a list of terms it seemed that many of
those lists did not include profanity and other items I would expect to find
in a "list of commonly used words". In retrospect, my use of the term
"slang" to describe what I was looking for was done in haste and may not
have been the most accurate way to describe the material.  It does seem that
jargon is a term used by a person who privileges the language while slang is
often used in cases where the language is taken to be disreputable in some
way. I can't say this was my criteria per se so maybe it would have been
better to write "a large list of (not necessarily tagged) English words used
by a broad cross section of speakers that includes profanity".

Again, thanks for all the help. I subscribe to a number of lists on a
variety of topics: programming, art, theory and I have to say that I've not
received an extended reply like the previous very frequently.

Best,
Joe