[Corpora-List] Phonemic variations across languages

Yuri Tambovtsev yutamb at mail.ru
Wed Sep 29 09:24:08 UTC 2010

Dear Corpora List members, do you use the coefficient of variation and Chi-square to study functioning of gerund, participle, phonemes or prepositions in language? In fact, the application of coefficient of variation and Chi-square to investigate the variation of linguistic elements in language may stop endless debates about language variation problems because they can be sucessfully solved. I use the coefficient of variation and Chi-square all right. They proved quite useful. With their help I also studied variation of phomenes and groups of phonemes (labials, velars, sonorants, fricatives, etc.) across languages. Usually they were used to study the variation of phonemes in texts. I did that as well. I wonder if you read my publications? Who is researching in the same area? I call this area phonostatistical typology. We have also studied different texts of English, American, Russian and Ukrainian authors from the point of view of the use of different linguistic units. The results of the statistical study of the corpora were published by us. Looking forward to hearing from you soon to yutamb at mail.ru Yours sincerely Yuri Tambovtsev, Novosibirsk, Russia