[Corpora-List] megastudy knowledge of English words

Marc Brysbaert marc.brysbaert at ugent.be
Wed Jan 29 09:11:10 UTC 2014

Dear all,

On the basis of our corpus analyses we have a list of some 60 thousand
English words (mostly lemmas, no names). To find out how well these words
are known, we have set up a vocabulary test. It is based on the Y/N paradigm
in second language acquisition (Meara & Jones, 1987; Harrington & Carey,
2009; Fairclough, 2011; Lemhofer & Broersma, 2012; Izura, Cuetos, &
Brysbaert, 2014). You get a list of 100 words and nonwords and simply have
to indicate which English words you know (takes 4 minutes). Your scores are
corrected for the number of nonwords you say "yes" to.

Because the test is still in its testing phase, there is likely to be some
frustration. On the basis of our experiences with a similar test in Dutch
(500,000 participants thus far), we can expect that 1% of the words and 3%
of the nonwords are problematic. The best way to clear these is to make use
of the responses and feedback from the first few thousands of participants.

So, if you would be kind enough to do the test once, twice (or as many times
as you like; you get a different sample of words and nonwords each time you
run the test), that would be most appreciated. You find the test here:

http://vocabulary.ugent.be/

Please feel free to forward this message to students, colleagues, friends,
and family members.