Introduction

Claudia Soria soria at LING.UNIPI.IT
Thu Jan 21 13:04:29 UTC 1999

Yet another intro...

My name is Claudia Soria, and I'm working at the linguistics department of
Pisa University, Italy.
My main interests are in discourse coherence, discourse production and
comprehension, discourse disorders, and the use of discourse markers, with
a particular concern for the differences between speaking and writing.

I finished my Ph.D. in 1998 with a dissertation on discourse coherence and
the role of discourse markers, approached from a cognitive point of view.
My focus was on so-called discourse or coherence relations, and my
literature included work by Mann and Thompson, Hobbs, Asher, Lascarides,
Knott, Sanders, Noordman and many others.

Before, I have been interested in cohesion analyses of Italian texts, use
of referring expressions in dialogue, and the structuring of conversation
among peers.

I'm currently involved in speech act recognition and the interplay of
morpho-syntactic and lexical knowledge for the understanding of discourse
relations (often also called coherence relations). Another running project
is the analysis of how coherence relations get realised in different text
genres, and how/whether this realisation differs between spoken and written
discourse.

Looking forward to interesting and fruitful discussions,

Claudia