Introduction

Elizabeth Traugott traugott at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Sat Jan 23 20:08:10 UTC 1999

Dear Chungmin Lee,
Thanks for your message.
Yes, I think you did send me a paper some time ago. I'd
be very interested to see your new one on Psych-verbs, though
unfortunately I don't think my system will open it. It would need
to be in Word 5.
Since you are working on Psych-verbs, I wonder whether you are using
subjectification in langacker's sense or mine--as I have developed
mine, it is really very different from his, since I think of it as
the making explicit of the speaker/writer's perspective (he thinks of
it as the off-staging of SP/W's perspective).
These different views of subjectification derive from our different
data bases and different views about the role of rhetorical strategies
in discourse negotiation.

Best,
Elizabeth Traugott