Language ideology and pedagogy: Cry for help

jjm71 at JUNO.COM jjm71 at JUNO.COM
Mon Mar 27 04:50:23 UTC 2000

Mark,

If this topic does exist, it would be found within the domain of
"Language attitudes research".  Gardner's work on language attitudes of
English dominant Canadian students of French is preeminent in this field.

Incidentally, I found these sources while conducting research at AUC for
an MA in TESL (94-96).  Have your student contact me if the following are
helpful.

-James

_______________________________
James Mullooly, Ph.D. Candidate, Anthropology and Education
Teachers College, Columbia University
e-mail: JJM64 at Columbia.edu or JJM71 at Juno.com
http://homestead.juno.com/jjm71/Index.html

Language Attitudes Research in Cognitive and Applied Linguistics

Edwards, J. , R. (1982).  Language attitudes and their implications among
English speakers.  In E. B. Ryan & H. Giles (Eds.) , Attitudes Towards
Language Variation Social and Applied Contexts (pp. 20-33) . London :
Edward Arnold.

Gardner , R. , C. (1982).  Language attitudes and language 	learning.  In
E. B. Ryan & H. Giles (Eds.) , Attitudes Towards Language Variation
Social and Applied Contexts pp.132-147). London : Edward Arnold.

Gardner, R. C., Moorcroft, R., & Metford, J. (1989).  Second language
learning in an immersion program: Factors influencing acquisition and
retention.  Journal of 	Language and Social Psychology , 8 , 287-305.

Giles, H. , Henwood, K. , Coupland, N. , Harriman, J.  , & Coupland, J.
(1992).  Language attitudes and cognitive mediation.  Human
Communications Research , 18,  500-527.

Krosnick, J. , A. , Boninger, D. , S. , Chuang, Y. , C. , Berent, 	M. ,
K. & Carnot, C. , G.(1993).  Attitude strength: One construct or many
related constructs? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology , 65 ,
1132-1151.

Ryan, E.  B. , Giles , H. , & Sebastian , R. (1982).  An 	integrative
perspective for the study of attitudes towards language variation. In E.
B. Ryan & H. Giles (Eds.) , Attitudes Towards Language Variation Social
and Applied Contexts (pp. 1-19) . London : Edward Arnold.