The medium and the message (was: on viruses)

isa 786isa at OMANTEL.NET.OM
Fri Feb 1 07:46:21 UTC 2002

Robin Shoaps wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I agree with Celso that the Discourse list needs to consider the danger of the
> medium to be used inadvertently in the spreading of worms and viruses.

> Is there a reason why people have to send short messages as attachments?

Many lists have strongly designed policies to prevent virus and worm propogation.

Just have your hard disk destroyed once and you will understand why. Academic
computers are particularly prone to the propogation of unwanted fauna and flora and
protistia because of the need to share programs and information with colleagues and
students and so forth, just like grade school where one kid sneezes and the next
day half the class has a cold. Every consideration should be given to security. No
attachments.

Isa

--
copyright c.kocher 2002