Introduction and question about advice columns

alex eldon at GOL.COM
Sat Apr 5 12:32:04 UTC 2003

>And here is already my first question. Are you aware of literature on
>advice columns? I know the work of Heritage & Sefi and Silverman who all
>work with interactive, conversational data, but have not  yet been able to
>find anything on advice columns in particular.

try:

Paul Thibault 1988: "Knowing what you're told by the agony aunts:
language function, gender difference and the structure of knowledge
and belief in personal columns" in Birch and O'Toole (eds) _Functions
of Style_

Paul Thibault 2002: "Interpersonal Meaning and the Discursive
Construction of Action, Attitudes and Values: The Global Modal
Program of One Text" in Fries, P.H., M. Cummings & D. Lockwood (eds)
_Relations and Functions within and around Language_

best,
lexie

--
alexanne don