Two million dollar donation for Irish and Scottish Studies at Aberdeen University

Francis M Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Tue Mar 23 06:26:40 UTC 2004

>>From Eurolang

http://www.eurolang.net

Two million dollar donation for Irish and Scottish Studies at Aberdeen University

Simone Klinge in Brussel / Bruxelles 3/17/2004

The Scottish University of Aberdeen has cause to celebrate St. Patricks Day today with a large donation of nearly two
million dollars to be used in establishing a Chair of Irish and Scottish Studies at the institution.

The generous funding to the universitys Research Institute of Irish and Scottish Studies (RIISS) was made possible by
Loretta and Lewis Glucksman from the American Ireland Fund.

I am overwhelmed by the generosity of the Gluckmans in funding this chair, said the universitys principle Professor
Duncan Rice, speaking to The Scotsman newspaper. I know they have a deep in interest in the history and culture of
Ireland.

Furthermore, Profesor Rice said that the gift marked a significant investment in supporting and developing the work of
RIISS in its research in the history, language, literature and culture of Ireland and Scotland.

With the funding the university can plan for a long-term future for Irish and Scottish studies. (Eurolang)