Linguistics in Education

Jeff MacSwan macswan at umd.edu
Mon Feb 17 03:15:58 UTC 2014

Francis,

This looks like a page related to the effort to do more linguistics in K-12 settings, a project that Wayne O'Neal at MIT was very invested in some years back - and I think the LSA still is working on this, but of course it's not likely to happen with the back-to-the-basics dogma driving school policy.

The idea of creating an Ed Linguistics page is great - and other related pages on Wikipedia.  The theoretical linguistics pages on Wikipedia are very well developed, but the education-related linguistics topics are not.  For instance, the page on "Structured English Immersion" was clearly written by SEI zealots.  There are lots of other examples of pages that need to be updated and corrected.  I think Wikipedia is the go-to source for lots of the general public.  Not a bad idea to even assign Wikipedia editing as a course project/assignment to graduate students!

Jeff