EL Curriculum Library: resource for mainstream teachers

Francis Hult francis.hult at englund.lu.se
Mon Oct 6 17:36:44 UTC 2014

From: Verplaetse, Loretta S. [verplaetsel1 at southernct.edu]

For those of you helping mainstream teachers with sheltered instructional practices for the ELs in their classrooms, you know that one of their biggest challenges is where to find the time to modify curriculum for various language proficiency levels. Here is a resource you might find helpful…

>From the Training for All Teachers (TAT) Program at Southern Connecticut State University:  SCSU's TAT Program, a NPD grantee funded by the US Dept. of Education/OELA, has recently launched the on-line English Learner Curriculum Library. With a click of a button, teachers can access over 250 instructional units, grades K-12.  These units have been modified by Connecticut teachers to make subject content accessible to ELs.  Units include lesson plans, narratives, content and language objectives, modified materials, a checklist of incorporated sheltered strategies, and the original unit as it was designed for mainstream students.  Also available at this site are Country/Culture Cards, a one-page descriptor of cultural and linguistic information bullets for each of the major countries represented by our ELs.   In our first eight months, we've had over 6000 visitors download the instructional units!  You can access this library online at: http://southernct.edu/tat  , then clicking EL Curriculum Library.

Lorrie Stoops Verplaetse, Ph.D.
Professor, Coordinator of TESOL & Bilingual Education
Director, Training for All Teachers Program
Southern CT State University
Engleman Hall, D-170, 501 Crescent Street
New Haven, CT 06515
203 392 6759