[Edling] Applied Linguistics syllabus ideas

Larry Selinker larry.selinker at nyu.edu
Fri Sep 4 17:26:42 UTC 2015

*dear melinda,*

*you want your students to have a sense of history. the field was not
invented yesterday, **but particularly so they won't be part of the cycle
of "re-inventing the wheel". what were the classic q's asked? what answers
were proposed? and, especially, which ones are still with us? and why?*

*i recommend beginning with one of the classic books, my favorite:*
Introducing Applied Linguistics
<http://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Applied-Linguistics-Pit-Corder/dp/0140132082>
*by S. Pit Corder's, 1973, is full of wisdom*

​*this google search result gives you lots of places to go to in order to
figure out the historical context in which Corder worked at Edinburgh, and
from where he led the field.*​
https://www.google.com/search?q=s%20pit%20corder%20introducing%20applied%20linguistics&cad=cbv&sei=gdLpVdiJM4mw-AHtjY_QBg

*​i'd like to see your final syllabus, privately if you want. let us know
how it goes.​Best, Larry Selinker*
*ls110 at nyu.edu <ls110 at nyu.edu>*
*http://www.researchproductionassociates.com/
<http://www.researchproductionassociates.com/>*