[Edling] Why Boosting Poor Children’s Vocabulary Is Important for Public Health

Richard Hudson r.hudson at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Sep 17 08:36:09 UTC 2015

Ok, but they don't quote empirical evidence that contradicts the Hart &
Risley data, do they? And they don't mention Gordon Wells's large-scale
research project in Bristol (England) which did find vocabulary
differences correlating with social class. Here's what I said about it
in my 1996 Sociolinguistics (2nd edition):

Here are the references:

Well worth exploring!

Dick