[Edling] Language Policy -- Call for Book Reviews

Sarah C.K. Moore via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Wed May 5 18:47:14 UTC 2021

Dear colleagues,

As one of the Book Review Editors for the journal *Language Policy*, I
would like to draw your attention to the titles listed below, which are now
available for review.

If you would like to review a book listed below, please contact me directly
at sckmoore at umd.edu, indicate which title is of interest and note your
professional and scholarly areas of expertise.

Bouchard, J., & Glasgow, G. P. (eds) (2019). Agency in language policy and
planning: Critical inquiries. Routledge.
Coeman, H. (2019). The condition of English in multilingual Afghanistan.
British Councils.
Ricento, T. (ed) (2019) Language Politics and Policies: Perspectives from
Canada and the United States. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Reviews should be no longer than 1,000 words in length and are generally
due three months after receipt of the book. Editorial guidelines and more
can be found at
https://www.springer.com/education+&+language/linguistics/journal/10993.

We would be grateful if you could forward this message to any interested
and qualified colleagues or students. Please also note our policy of only
one review per person per year. If you have written a review for us
recently, we would therefore appreciate it if you held off this time.

Best,
Sarah

--

Sarah CK Moore, PhD
College of Education
sckmoore at umd.edu
*pronouns: she/her/hers*

The land acknowledgment we use was organized by Ghonva Ghauri from MICA
<https://thestamp.umd.edu/Multicultural_Involvement_Community_Advocacy> and
approved by Piscataway <http://www.piscatawayconoytribe.com/index.html>
 elders.

LAND ACKNOWLEDGMENT

Every community owes its existence and strength to the generations before
them, around the world, who contributed their hopes, dreams, and energy
into making the history that led to this moment. Some were brought here
against their will, some were drawn to migrate from their homes in hope of
a better life, and some have lived on this land for more generations than
can be counted. Truth and acknowledgment are critical in building mutual
respect and connections across all barriers of heritage and difference.

At the University of Maryland, we believe it is important to create
dialogue to honor those that have been historically and systemically
disenfranchised. So, we acknowledge the truth that is often buried: We are
on the ancestral lands of the Piscataway People, who were among the first
in the Western Hemisphere. We are on indigenous land that was stolen from
the Piscataway People by European colonists. We pay respects to Piscataway
elders and ancestors. Please take a moment to consider the many legacies of
violence, displacement, migration, and settlement that bring us together
here today.