[Edling] Share Your Memories of Bernard Spolsky

Miriam E Ebsworth via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Tue Aug 23 10:33:51 UTC 2022

Dear Friends,

The passing of Professor Bernard Dov Spolsky, זיכרונו לברכה zichrono
livracha, (may his memory be a blessing) is such a loss to our community.
Having met him casually in academic settings, and of course
through his prodigious writing, I found myself sitting next to him on a
plane to the AILA Conference in Sydney, Australia. This wonderful
opportunity gave me a chance to meet Dov in a more personal way, and I
often think
back to that rich and fascinating conversation. More recently, he
contributed a chapter on 'Religion and education in the preservation of
Hebrew and other Jewish language varieties' to a text on Language
Maintenance, Revival and Shift in the Sociology of Religion (I co-edited
with Rajeshwari Pandharipande and Maya David).

As my colleagues reflect, Bernard Dov Spolsky was an extraordinary
individual, brilliant and thoughtful, with great insight and passion for
language and learning. The gift of his spirit and ideas will remain with us
for generations to come.

With wishes for peace and consolation to all who had the privilege to know
him,
Miriam

On Sun, Aug 21, 2022 at 12:15 PM Francis M. Hult via Edling <
edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Professor Bernard Spolsky meant so much to many of us as a scholar,
> friend, and mentor.  He founded the field of educational linguistics, and
> he was a pioneer in the field of language policy.  As moderator of the
> Edling and Lgpolicy listservs, I invite list members to share their
> favorite memories of Bernard as a tribute to him.  I am cross-posting for
> those who are not on both lists.
>
> Best,
> Francis
>
> --
> *Francis M. Hult, PhD, FRGS* | Professor
> Department of Education
> University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC)
>
> Editor, Educational Linguistics Book Series
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/series/5894__;!!BhJSzQqDqA!Qdp8nlMn_z1cFPF_lDtbS3ZLH0Towj3mrzn4Ez9_GpofjMyCc5nQcRYdIkAHQI4IGBoDjhxJ-E8pezJ19pbnqA$>
> Co-Editor, Contributions to the Sociology of Language Book Series
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.degruyter.com/view/serial/16644__;!!BhJSzQqDqA!Qdp8nlMn_z1cFPF_lDtbS3ZLH0Towj3mrzn4Ez9_GpofjMyCc5nQcRYdIkAHQI4IGBoDjhxJ-E8pezLvjIQgDQ$>
>
> Web Profile
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://education.umbc.edu/faculty-list/francis-m-hult/__;!!BhJSzQqDqA!Qdp8nlMn_z1cFPF_lDtbS3ZLH0Towj3mrzn4Ez9_GpofjMyCc5nQcRYdIkAHQI4IGBoDjhxJ-E8pezIVL_gJfg$>
> | Academia.edu
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://umbc.academia.edu/FrancisMHult__;!!BhJSzQqDqA!Qdp8nlMn_z1cFPF_lDtbS3ZLH0Towj3mrzn4Ez9_GpofjMyCc5nQcRYdIkAHQI4IGBoDjhxJ-E8pezIKdahxMA$>
> | Google Scholar
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=2x7pOMwAAAAJ&h__;!!BhJSzQqDqA!Qdp8nlMn_z1cFPF_lDtbS3ZLH0Towj3mrzn4Ez9_GpofjMyCc5nQcRYdIkAHQI4IGBoDjhxJ-E8pezJThqN_Gg$>
> | TESOL at UMBC
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://tesol.umbc.edu/__;!!BhJSzQqDqA!Qdp8nlMn_z1cFPF_lDtbS3ZLH0Towj3mrzn4Ez9_GpofjMyCc5nQcRYdIkAHQI4IGBoDjhxJ-E8pezI3MTElIQ$>

Miriam Eisenstein Ebsworth, PhD (she, her, hers, ella)
Dept. of Teaching & Learning: Multilingual Multicultural Studies
NYU Steinhardt
     Academic Director:  NYU ISEP English Program
     Co-chair: ELL Think Tank, Steinhardt
     Executive Bd. Member: National Assoc. for Bilingual Ed.
     NABE Research and Evaluation SIG Advisory Board
     NYSABE: Language Delegate and Advocacy Committee
     Member: NY Seal of Biliteracy Committee