[Edling] Online Workshop for the Volume, Critical Pedagogy for Modern Languages Education -Bloomsbury

David Balosa via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Fri Jan 21 16:36:04 UTC 2022

Dear Edling family,
I thought you may find this volume, *Critical Pedagogy for Modern Language
Education's *online workshop (Feb. 4 -Feb. 5, 8:00 am -12:00 Pm EST but
13:00-17:00 CUT) informative. I have copied two chapter' abstracts that I
think to be of interest to the Edling Community. Chap. 1 (Dr. Balosa --
"Existential literacy in Language Classroom", Feb. 4 at 11:00 am EST; 16:00
CUT and Chap. 9  (Dr. Nascimento -- "Racism in English Teaching in
Brazil"- Feb.
5 at 9:20 am EST). I have also copied the link and the schedule of the
workshop for those interested in attending.

*Introduction* - Introducing Critical Modern Languages Pedagogy

*Derek Hird, Lancaster University (8:40-8:50 am EST)*

*PART ONE: INTERCULTURALITY, DECOLONIZATION, AND DECANONIZATION*

*1 *- Existential Literacy: Promoting the Culture of the Dignity of all
Languages in Modern Languages Classroom (Feb. 4 at 11:00 am EST)

*David Balosa,* *Independent Scholar*

This chapter explains how critical pedagogy in modern languages classrooms
should encapsulate the approach that I am calling existential literacy to
achieve “transformational interculturality” and “global intercultural
citizenship” (Balosa, 2020, p. 75). It explores my experience in teaching
French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Swahili (K-16) in Philadelphia and
Delaware State University and my experience as member of the School
District of Philadelphia equity and diversity team and Teacher Leader of
the Junior Academy in South Philadelphia High School, in Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania in the United States. I define existential literacy as an
approach to pedagogical practices from which to derive inclusive attitudes,
competence, and open-mindedness in the acquisition of, appreciation and
respect for, and interest in linguistic, cultural, and sociopolitical
discursive diversity. These objectives embody the commitment to
transformational interculturality and global intercultural citizenship.
Transformational interculturality refers to models of leadership and
sociopolitical movements dedicated to rights and privileges rooted in human
rights and responsibilities for inclusiveness, equity, and diversity for
the common good. Global intercultural citizenship entails more humane
relationships among different groups of people. It refers to symbolic
capital from which derives an inclusive mindset in politics or the
management of relationships among different groups of people across the
world.

*9 – English Language Teaching as a Zone of Non-Being for Teachers in ELT:
Linguistic Racism and Language as Invention (Feb. 5 at 9:20 am EST;
14:20-14:30 CUT)*

*Gabriel Nascimento, Federal University of Southern Bahia*

To be or not to be is not necessarily an easy quest for all equally in the
modern world. Especially in English language teaching (ELT) in the global
south it remains seemingly problematic if we refer to black teachers of
English. In turn, the concept of zone of non-being arises from the work of
black theorist Frantz Fanon, who criticized humanism and coloniality in the
Antilles (now Martinique) by questioning the role of language in
dehumanizing black people. On the other hand, black teachers of English in
Brazil make up a minoritized community among the English teachers if we
look at English teacher pre-service programs in universities, or if we
search for in-service teachers at government and private schools. Albeit
black people are most of Brazilian inhabitants, resulting in 52% who
identified as black (preto or pardo) according to the last census, black
people are also most of the unemployed, incarcerated and being murdered at
the hand of police population. Thus, the underrepresentation of black
people in ELT positions originated from the very existence of racism in the
structure of Brazilian society. Conversely, whereas blacks are continuously
entering the pre-service programs in the universities with the use of
quotas reserved for black people through affirmative actions, this is not
the case of English language teaching programs. In this paper I will
examine aspects of linguistic racism and language as invention to
understand the perceptions of linguistic citizenship in the
autobiographical narratives of black teachers of English language in
Brazil.

If interested in attending this workshop, please use the link below to join.
Our *online workshop for the volume, Critical Pedagogy for Modern Languages
Education*, will run on Friday 4 February 13:00-17:00 (UTC) and Saturday 5
February 13:00-17:00 (UTC). You should have received separate emails with
the schedules and Microsoft Teams links for the two sessions. (If you
didn't receive these emails please let me know).

To join the workshop sessions, simply click on the meeting links in the
emails. For your convenience, here they are again:

Friday 4th February: Click here to join the meeting
<https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3a53a32e4161504eab9781ce4a78a68292%40thread.tacv2/1642664394042?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%229c9bcd11-977a-4e9c-a9a0-bc734090164a%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22a0c22fc6-f480-43f4-8451-72a158c45c64%22%7d>
Saturday 5th February: Click here to join the meeting
<https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3a53a32e4161504eab9781ce4a78a68292%40thread.tacv2/1642664885430?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%229c9bcd11-977a-4e9c-a9a0-bc734090164a%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22a0c22fc6-f480-43f4-8451-72a158c45c64%22%7d>

*FRIDAY 4 FEBRUARY, 2022 (8:00am-12:00 Pm EST)CUT*
*13:00-13:10* *Welcome*
*13:10-**13:40* *Icebreaker activity*
*13:40-13:50* Introducing Critical Modern Languages Pedagogy*Derek Hird,
Lancaster University*
*13:50-14:00* *Comfort break*
  *MULTILINGUALISM AND LINGUISTIC DIVERSITY*
*14:00-14:10* From Babble to Babel: Leveraging Multilingualism in our
Communities at Home and Abroad *Lucile Duperron, Dickinson College*
*14:10-14:20* Ethnolects in the Modern Language Classroom: Perceptions of
Group Identity and Language Use *Pamella Nyarige, Catholic University of
Eastern Africa*
*14:20-14:30* Bridging Languages, Bridging Cultures: Multilingual and
Multidialectal Reflections on Teaching Arabic as A Foreign Language *Sahar
Alshobaki, Roehampton University*
*14:30-14:50* Discussion
*14:50-15:00* *Comfort break*
  *TEACHER EDUCATION*
*15:00-15:10* Translanguaging in Austrian Primary Teacher Education *Theresa
Guczogi, University College of Teacher Education Vienna/Krems*
*15:10-15:20* Integrative language learning in primary school – A
contribution to equal opportunities *Golriz Gilak, University College of
Teacher Education Vienna/Krems*
*15:20-15:30* English for Resilience or English for Resistance: critical
pedagogy in a teacher education programme in Palestine *Grazie Imperiale,
University of Glasgow*
*15:30-15:50* Discussion
*15:50-16:00* *Comfort break*
  *INTERCULTURALITY, DECOLONIZATION, AND DECANONIZATION*
*16:00-16:10* Existential Literacy: Promoting the Culture of the Dignity of
all Languages in Modern Languages Classroom *David Balosa,* *Independent
Scholar*
*16:10-16:20* English Teaching in the Global South: Interculturality,
Postcoloniality and Critical Pedagogy *Hamza R’boul, Public University of
Navarre*
*16:20-16:30* Pedagogical Stylistics and World Literature in English in
Upper Secondary Schools *Isabella Marinaro, Sapienza University of Rome*
*16:30-16:50* Discussion
*16:50-17:00* *Concluding remarks: Day 1*
--
*SATURDAY 5 FEBRUARY, 2022 (8:00 am - 12:00 pm EST)*
*13:00-13:05* *Welcome*
Federal University of Southern Bahia*
*14:30-14:50* Discussion
*14:50-15:00* *Comfort break*
  *TEXTBOOK DISCOURSES*
*15:00-15:10* Representations of LGBTQ+ and gender in textbooks in Dutch
and Swedish as a foreign language *Josef Wikström & Juul Wolters, Comenius
University*
*15:10-15:20* “For us foreigners, licking your fingers clean is a good
habit”: On learning Chinese and learning about discourse from
Chinese-language textbooks *Séagh Kehoe, Paul Kendall, & Gerda Wielander,
University of Westminster*
*15:20-15:40* Discussion
*15:40-16:00* *Comfort break*
*16:00-16:25* *Breakout room discussion on criticality *We will discuss
criticality as a key concept in the volume.
*16:25-16:45* *Plenary discussion on criticality*
*16:45-17:00*

*Concluding remarks: Day 2*

Regards,
David
--
David M. Balosa, Ph.D.
Language, Literacy, & Culture

https://llc.umbc.edu/home/news-events/?id=56945
https://centerforinterculturaldialogue.org/tag/david-balosa/

The world would be a better place if we all strive for existential unity:
communities' prosperity, social justice, peace, faith, global solidarity
and diversity, human rights, and human dignity for all. -David Balosa