[Edling] Science of Reading vs Science of Reading Movement

Francis M. Hult via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Sun Jul 2 13:39:00 UTC 2023

Language Magazine

English Literacy for Multilingual Learners: Voices from the Field

Most recently, we have heard a lot about the science of reading—a body of
research that draws from different cognitive research traditions (including
the neurosciences, psychology, linguistics, and educational studies) and
aims to understand how children learn to read from a cognitive science
perspective. While this research does not address the broader social and
cultural context of literacy (including writing and multimodality),
understanding what happens cognitively when children read is important for
teachers.

Unfortunately, what we have seen nationwide is that the media, parent
groups, and policymakers have selectively taken this research and have
rapidly turned it into strict state mandates for professional development,
curriculum and materials, and teacher preparation requirements. These
efforts, better referred to as the science of reading movement,
unfortunately misrepresent much of what the reading research indicates and
rarely do justice to the nuances and complexities that are integral to
language and literacy teaching and learning...

Full story:
https://www.languagemagazine.com/2023/05/22/english-literacy-for-multilingual-learners-voices-from-the-field/