[Edling] Indian Foreigner Minister Dr. Jaishankar seeks support to make English 3rd official language of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO)

David Balosa via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Mon Jul 3 21:26:31 UTC 2023

This case seems to reveal that the fight for multilingualism for equity and
existential justice out of political power struggle is a real fight in the
age of capitalist globalization.
Therefore, * Fostering Multilingualism for more humane relations across
intercultural experiences despite political power Struggle in the age of
multilateralism and multipolarity* seems
to be a serious fight for educational linguist scholars and policymakers
motivated by existential justice. Reading this case, most of our students
and colleagues who automatically claim English as the global/international
language without addressing the political power domination underlying this
classification would be shocked (just my opinion).
How in the world, English, the de facto global/international language yet
needs support to be added as the third official language for a significant
international organization such *Shanghai Cooperation Organization* (SCO)?
I hope that this case should remind us that the fight to keep
multilingualism advocacy out of political power domination is a real fight
and that a humanistic approach to equity, linguistic diversity, and
sustainable development should motivate this advocacy rather than the
political power positioning. Also this case helps educational linguistics,
existential sociolinguistics, and scholars in ecological identity approach
language issues from the historic, the present, and the future
understanding of multilingual policies in different sociopolitical and
environmental contexts. -  David Balosa

Please check out the link below to derive some more insights about the
topic.

https://thenewsmen.co.in/politics/jaishankar-seeks-support-to-make-english-3rd-official-language-of-sco/108274

--
David M. Balosa, Ph.D.
Language, Literacy, & Culture Ph.D. Program

https://llc.umbc.edu/home/news-events/?id=56945
https://www.taylorfrancis.com/chapters/edit/10.4324/9781003138433-11/existential-sociolinguistics-david-balosa
https://www.bloomsburycollections.com/book/critical-pedagogies-for-modern-languages-education-criticality-decolonization-and-social-justice/ch1-existential-literacy?from=search

The world would be a better place if we all strive for existential unity
for equity, diversity, inclusion, and human dignity (EDIHD) for all. -David
Balosa