ELL: Re: French government refuses to recognise minority languages From: "Carmine Colacino" <colacino at socrates.berkeley.edu> To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au, endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au Mime-version: 1.0 X-Priority: 3 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit X-MIME-Autoconverted: from quoted-printable to 8bit by carmen.murdoch.edu.au id VAA11835 Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au Precedence: bulk Reply-To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

Mon Jul 12 13:07:26 UTC 1999

		  *** EOOH ***
		  Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 15:07:26 +0200
		  Subject: Re: ELL: Re: French government refuses to recognise
		  minority
			 languages
			 From: "Carmine Colacino"
		  <colacino at socrates.berkeley.edu>
		  To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au,
		          endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
		  Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

		  Use of "dialects" is strongly discouraged in Italy too.
		  That was a bigger problem before the TV era, of course, when
		  many elementary
		  school pupils began their schooling speaking only the local
		  "dialect."
		  Speaking one of theose languages was often punished.
		  Even today. I read last week on a newspaper that in the
		  Veneto a school has
		  set fines for everybody using "dialect" words at school.
		  In any case, the term "dialects" is still used in a
		  derogatory way in the
		  Italian School System (and in the society at large).
		  Reality is in Italy several languages are spoken (beside
		  standard Italian),
		  most of them still very much widespread and understood
		  (e.g. Neapolitan and
		  related languages in southern Italy, from Abruzzi, southern
		  Latium, to
		  central Calabria and Apulia; Sicilian in Sicily, southern
		  Calabria and
		  Salento; Venetians in the Veneto, etc.).
		  Many of these languages have a written literature since the
		  XV Century and
		  earlier, but are considered officially non-existent.
		  This is in addition to the other minority languages
		  (Arb.resh., Griko or
		  Grecanico, Serbo-Croatian, Proven.al, Franco-Proven.al,
		  Gallo-Italic, to
		  consider only the South).
		  Carmine Colacino

--