ELL: clarification about SIL from an external point o

Matthew McDaniel akha at loxinfo.co.th
Fri Mar 19 12:11:09 UTC 1999

x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
To: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

*** EOOH ***
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 19:11:09 +0700
From: Matthew McDaniel <akha at loxinfo.co.th>
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
Subject: Re: ELL: clarification about SIL from an external point o
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

So there is some cross over on the boards, not exactly seperate orgnizations,
maybe
technically seperate.

Or should I say this, does SIL ever do anthing that Wycliffe would not
support?
If they are seperate organizations and this does not occur, what is the law of
averages on this?

The point being is that, possibly it can be proven that there is no real or
cosmetic connection of the board.
One point.

But is their philosophy any different?

Does the SIL philosophy appose how the evangelicals like those who started
Payap
University treat people like the Akha?

I do not know of ONE Akha village that the evangelicals have taken over in
northern
Thailand where the traditional culture remains and I am compiling an
increasing
amount of evidence that the evangelicals are actively engaged in forbidding
the
culture if they want to "believe in Jesus".  This of course is very cleverly
done
with much theological gymnastics.  "Oh, if they want to believe in Jesus this
and
that will have to go".

This Americanization of the Akha and the destruction of their culture is what
I am
getting at.
I contend that destroying people's culture further increases their
marginalization
and furthermore, what gives the evangelicals the right to do this?

The Evangelicals come to the Akha villages (and now with the year two thousand
and
Jesus's imminent return they are in a feeding frenzy, their work made easier
by
increased poverty due to the IMF engagement here) and tell them, "Hey, we got
lots
of bucks, if you want some, you gotta dump your culture"

I think in the end, we will PROVE that the evangelicals in northern Thailand
are
engaged in the persistent and consistent destruction and suppressing of Akha
culture and in SPECIFIC abuses of their Indigenous Human Rights.

SIL and the Evangelicals may have their pet Akhas who they help.

But will it make up for the 80 girls that just one Evangelical organization,
supported with Church funds from America, have removed from their villages
under
the guise of protecting them from the possibility of going into prostitution.
People are opposed to this because they know what it means for the long term
possibilities of the Akha and their culture.  That they can convince their
parents
that it is good to do does not change the long term effects of this.

That is the most important connection that we are trying to point to.

Thankyou for pointing out your internal insight into the organization that you
have, possibly it helps clarify a few things.

Matthew McDaniel

--

Matthew McDaniel
The Akha Heritage Foundation

Web Site:
http://www.akha.com
mailto:akha at loxinfo.co.th

US Address:

Donations by check or money order may be sent to:

The Akha Heritage Foundation
1586 Ewald Ave SE
Salem OR 97302
USA