ELL: unmoderated list

Matthew McDaniel akha at loxinfo.co.th
Sun Oct 3 17:14:21 UTC 1999

x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
To: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

*** EOOH ***
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 00:14:21 +0700
From: Matthew McDaniel <akha at loxinfo.co.th>
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
Subject: Re: ELL: unmoderated list
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

George:

Since few people from SIL have piped up, and since SIL has been brought in
question as to their supportive role of questionable missions why can't
someone at SIL address:

1.  Why it is that there seems to be this identity problem, like SIL vs
Wycliffe.

2.  And why SIL is viewed so poorly regarding their actions in South America.

What I find alarming about mission work is the unwillingness to change methods
and aggressiveness and yet pretend that a discussion is happening.

There are some good documents from World Center For Missions I think it is,
about forcing and pressuring people to abandon their culture and peoples in
order to become Christian, and the tactics used and the results for the people
involve.  I was shocked that from within such a paper would come, because it
so well pointed out how these missionaries used every quote and misquote from
the Bible to pressure people.  The papers were calling for this practice and
mindset to stop.

Interestly enough though, when I mentioned these papers which are archived at
Brigada at onelist.com most mission groups will not talk about it.

It stands unfortunate that missionaries have a goal that doesn't allow them to
very well entertain anything but accomplishing it.

Matthew

--

Matthew McDaniel
The Akha Heritage Foundation

US Address:

Donations by check or money order may be sent to:

The Akha Heritage Foundation
PO BOX 6073
Salem OR 97304
USA

Donations by direct banking can be transferred to:
(Preferred)

Wells Fargo Bank
Akha Heritage Foundation
Acc. # 0081-889693