ELL: NEW SIL ALIAS

Matthew McDaniel akha at loxinfo.co.th
Wed Sep 22 15:06:24 UTC 1999

x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
To: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

*** EOOH ***
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 22:06:24 +0700
From: Matthew McDaniel <akha at loxinfo.co.th>
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
Subject: Re: ELL: NEW SIL ALIAS
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

It seems extremely odd to me that there would be any voices of defense of SIL
on this list.

Usually powerful people are not on the behalf of tribal peoples who are easy
to steal from.

Do people realize, with all their alias, how incredibly powerful an
organization SIL is?

This is not a few puttering linguists, this is a group that has been playing
hardball for most of the century, all over the world.

Do people really believe that SIL's agenda is furthering the teachings of a
loving Jesus?

Matthew

Marcus Antonio Rezende Maia wrote:

>  Dear D. Quesada,
> SIL, ALEM, NTM, ILV, JAARS, and other initials may stand for different
> organizations from a strictly legal point of view, but it is a truism that
> they represent the same ethnocentric and imperialistic interests. They have
> often exchanged and supported missionaries (who happen to be good linguists
> in some cases) in different parts of the world. One of the oldest programs
> of SIL in Brazil is the Karaja Program in the Bananal Island in Central
> Brazil. SIL started their actions in the Karaja area in 1958, already aided
> by New Tribes missionaries who "attracted"several nomadic Karaja groups to
> form the villages of Macauba. SIL missionaries then took over did their
> educational training programs, bible translation, etc. Then they levt and NT
> missionaries took over. As a Karaja leader once told me: They are all
> "crente mahadu" , as we say in Portuguese," farinha do mesmo saco",
> perfectly interchangeable, hybrid beings, who take the shape which is best
> suited  to fulfill their same o!
!
!

--

Matthew McDaniel
The Akha Heritage Foundation

US Address:

Donations by check or money order may be sent to:

The Akha Heritage Foundation
PO BOX 6073
Salem OR 97304
USA

Donations by direct banking can be transferred to:
(Preferred)

Wells Fargo Bank
Akha Heritage Foundation
Acc. # 0081-889693