ELL: asking for information

Claire Bowern bowern at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Jul 31 12:43:49 UTC 2002

Dear Roger,

The groups will probably have their own culture associations; if you want
to do a doco about the languages it would be politic for you to talk to
representatives of the groups themselves. I don't have any phone numbers
but you can ring up the local ATSIC office (phone numbers at
http://www.atsic.gov.au/tools/contact_state_and_regional.asp#Queensland)
and ask for the phone numbers from them. Also AIATSIS used to publish a
directory of Aboriginal and TSI organisations, called "The Black Book"
which might be helpful.

Other Australianists who work in the Queensland area probably have a more
direct way of contacting the people you need to talk to, but here's a
start.

Claire

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Roger Sogues wrote:

> To all your attention,
>

> My name is Roger, and I'm from Barcelona, in Catalonia.  I'm writing
> this message because I though this would be the best place to find
> what I'm looking for. What am I looking for?  I'm looking for any kind
> of information about the Dyirbal and the Guugu Yimithirr in Australia,
> but not just their facts, but someone who's had contacts with them or
> knows them. Why am I looking for that? Because I'd like to get
> information for a screenplay for a documentary film about their
> languages. I don't know if any of you can help me but I'd be really
> happy to get at least some contacts, because I've been trying to
> contact lots of governmental institutions but they haven't answered me
> by now. Thanks.
>

> Yours sincerely,
> Roger.

Department of Linguistics